Friday, April 2, 2010
World Autism Awareness Day
World Autism Awareness Day is April 2, 2010
* Autism Spectrum Disorders occur in 1-2 or more of every 500 births and 3-4 times more often in boys.
* Autism is a developmental disability thought by scientists to have a genetic origin.
* A family that has a biologically related relative with an Autism Spectrum Disorder is much more likely to have a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder than a family without this history.
* Autism is the third most common developmental disability following mental retardation and cerebral palsy.
* 75-80% of persons with Autism also have mental retardation.
* Autism is more common than multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis or childhood cancer.
* Early intensive behavioral intervention has been shown to produce marked changes in the skill deficits and problem behavior associated with Autism.
Below, please find recent facts about Autism compiled from sources including the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Department of Education, and the Autism Society of America.
1 in 250 births
1 to 1.5 million Americans
Fastest-growing developmental disability
10 - 17% annual growth
Growth comparison during the 1990s
- U.S. population increase: 13%
- Disabilities increase: 16%
- Autism increase: 172%
$90 billion annual cost
90% of costs are in adult services
Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention